Sunday 20 September 2015

Being a Muslim and British values

I was listening to the BBC World Service the other day and listened partially to a programme (I think it was the World Have Your Say programme) where a BBC interviewer was interviewing Muslim school girls in the UK. The gist of the interview was investigating possible Muslim sympathies with the Islamic State and exploring where these perhaps come from.  One line of enquiry was whether such sympathies were taught in the mosque.  During the interview I was amazed to hear the interviewer mention "British values" and she asked how are these reconciled with being a Muslim. As an example of a "British value" the interviewer mentioned same sex marriage. This led me to the immediate question - is same sex marriage a British value?

Of all the possible values that you could say are British, I found it odd that the interviewer mentioned same sex marriage. Indeed, given the history of the British Isles and the fact that same sex marriage has only recently been recognised under UK law, I don't believe it is correct to say that this is a British value.  I can understand that tolerance is a British value. I can understand that respecting the law of the land (which allows same sex marriage) is a British value.

Indeed, for those who believe in Scripture and/or the Quran which quite clearly does not accept same sex marriage, can we say that those people who hold such beliefs do not reflect British values for not accepting/agreeing with same sex marriage? Isn't "tolerance" of different views a British value? I am sure that the Church of England does not agree to same sex marriage as a matter of principle.  Indeed, in a democracy, isn't it one of the fundamental principles that we can have different views on a topic BUT we tolerate them? It doesn't mean we accept them to the point we agree, we condone or we encourage.

I think it has to be accepted that we must expect that those who believe in Scripture and/or the Quran (which is clearly opposed to same sex marriage) that they will not accept or agree to same sex marriage. So, I don't think we can say that acceptance of same sex marriage is a "British value". For that matter, what is a British value?

I don't think it is a surprise that people who believe in Scripture and/or the Quran do not accept same sex marriage but I don't think that is a basis to infer such people as being opposed to British values.





No comments:

Post a Comment