Wednesday 24 December 2014

Chp 3 The God Delusion - Arguments for God's Existence - My initial thoughts


Was a little disappointed with the chapter on "Arguments for God's Existence" however I should have expected that a book entitled "The God Delusion" would be light when it comes to arguments for God. Indeed, the arguments given for God's existence appear or at least are depicted as weak.

Professor Dawkins examines the "Thomas Aquinas Proofs", "Ontological Arguments", "Argument from Beauty", "Argument from Personal Experience", "Argument from Scripture", "Argument from Admired Religious Scientists" and "Bayesian Arguments".

I found the "Argument from Scripture" the  most interesting especially Professor Dawkins' remarks:

(1) "The fact that something is written down is persuasive to people not used to asking questions like: "Who wrote it and when?" "How did they know what to write?"....

(2) "Ever since the nineteenth century, scholarly theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are not reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world."

(3) "Do these people never open the book that they believe is the literal truth? Why don't they notice those glaring contradictions?"

I had the same thoughts when I read the bible. I would have liked to see Professor Dawkins' similar type of analysis of the Quran. My plan is to try and do this for myself (and the readers of this blog) as I think it will be interesting to see that the above remarks when applied to the Quran provides interesting reading.

The point that "more highly educated people are less likely to be religious" is interesting but this is more telling of the thinking of our society at this moment in time rather than offering proof of there not being God. I note again the partial respect given for clever people believing in an Einsteinian God.

I totally agree with the analysis of Pascal's Wager - if there is a God who is all knowing then you could not feign belief and benefit from that. Indeed, I think this section of the chapter touches on an important point that belief has to be "honest" and I don't think you can make yourself believe. Belief isn't an academic exercise that you can work on like studying for an exam. It seems you either have it or you don't. This is a very interesting topic that needs further analysis.

Am ready to start the next chapter of the God Delusion - "Why there almost certainly is no God" - this chapter title made me smile - if believing in God is delusion why isn't this chapter entitled "Why there certainly is no God" - why include "almost"?



No comments:

Post a Comment